Utah has a very interesting state history. The state was populated widely by Native Americans, but was settled by colonies of Mormon settlers in the 1800’s that had left the East fleeing religious persecution. Utah still has a very strong Mormon presence today. The state is known for the wide-open spaces of its plateaus and deserts, and much of the state is devoted to national parks and forests. The cost of living in Utah is very reasonable, as are the prices for Utah car insurance—in fact, they are some of the lowest in the country.
Driving in Utah
Utah’s driving privileges are a bit different from in other states. Residents may obtain a driver’s license that is considered valid state ID, or they may get a driving privilege card, which is not valid ID. Teen drivers must pass driver’s education to get their learner’s permits, and after that, they must progress through a Graduated Driver’s License program, which restricts their times on the road and other factors. Once they have completed the program they receive a full driver’s license with cheap insurance for young drivers as their reward.
Utah Facts and Figures
- Utah has the lowest alcohol-related incidence of vehicle crashes and related fatalities in the nation.
- 6,904 vehicles were reported stolen in Utah in 2009, making it one of the safest states in the nation for vehicle theft risk.
- Utah residents reported 51,367 vehicle crashes in 2009, which was a decrease of 5,000 crashes since the previous year. This trend is attributed to stricter enforcement of traffic laws by police and by monitoring cameras, improved highways and roads, and aggressive media and public awareness campaigns.
- Utah is one of the few no-fault insurance states in the country, requiring its residents to keep not only basic liability, but also Personal Injury Protection coverage on their policies at all times.
Required Utah Car Insurance
Every driver is required to carry Utah car insurance for auto liability and Personal Injury Protection. Utah is a no-fault state, which means that when a vehicle accident occurs, each driver is responsible for his or her own medical bills if injuries occur. This does not apply to property damage, and the at-fault driver is responsible for the damages for the victim through their property damage liability insurance. State minimums for liability coverage are 25/65/15, which means that the maximum payouts per incident will be:
- $25,000 in individual bodily injury coverage
- $65,000 in total incident bodily injury coverage
- $15,000 in total property damage coverage per incident
- $3,000 PIP coverage
Penalties for Driving Uninsured
Utah has some of the strictest uninsured driver penalties in the country. Fines for being cited for driving without insurance begin at $400 and can go above $1,000. Repeat offenders also will have their licenses revoked and their vehicle registration and plates canceled. New residents must obtain local Utah car insurance to avoid having their license transfer denied. Anyone who is convicted of driving uninsured must present an SR22 (verification of automobile insurance coverage) every year for three years to the Utah DMV.
Getting Cheap Utah Car Insurance Quotes
Utah has some of the cheapest auto insurance in the country, but those who utilize available discounts can make it less expensive, even if they have less-than-perfect driving records. Drivers who take state-sponsored driver safety and defensive driving courses will earn discounts on their total policy price. Installing theft-deterrent and safety features like OnStar, LoJack, and normal car alarms will have their risk levels reduced, resulting in lower policies. Staying with the same company for a year or more brings a loyalty discount, and by bundling all your insurance policies with the same car insurance company, you are often entitled to a multi-policy discount.
It isn’t hard to get cheap auto insurance in Utah. This friendly state has low prices, but you can find the absolute best policy for your money and needs by using our service. Allow us to find several quotes from good local insurers, so you can decide which one is the right one. We are the best in the business, and our service is fast, free and effective.